Midterm Reflection

Here were my goals at the beginning of the semester:

1. Improve conversational fluency! I am hoping to go to Japan this summer, so I need to become much more comfortable having simple conversations without pausing to think through grammar for every sentence.

2. Listen to pitch! A recurring comment is that I still make pitch errors in my speech, so I need to work on that.

3. Vocabulary! I need to learn many, many more words to expand what I can talk about.

For 1, I can definitely say that I have gotten better at speaking and more comfortable in simple conversations, but there is still a lot of work to do. I said I wanted to go to the Japanese language table once a week, but I haven't been able to: I'm going to fix that! Every Monday for the rest of the semester, I will be at the Whitman language table to practice before I go to PII.

For 2, I still need to improve my pitch. I still need to make it to office hours to work on that directly, and I will watch a few episodes of anime per week to hear native speakers that much more.

For 3, I said I would do WaniKani daily; I have worked on that a bunch, but that is more help for kanji than for vocabulary. I will refocus my efforts in the Japanese conversations that I do have to try to talk about things I don't know how to say so that I can become comfortable expanding my vocabulary through conversation in Japanese.

Overall, I have made a lot of progress, but I could be progressing faster and I know I have a long way to go. Wish me luck!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

好きな季節